© 2017 Esaie Couture Fashion Design School
FreeHand Cutting of WomensWear Student Login
COURSE 1A: FREEHAND CUTTING FUNDAMENTALS
- 1.1 Introduction and Tools Needed
- 1.2 Taking Body Measurement
- 1.3 Cutting the Basic Straight Skirt or Pencil Skirt
- Achieve a cumulative Quality Point Average (QPA) of 2.0 or higher.
- All tuition must be paid in full
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of fabrics, embellishments, colors, and style for each garment or accessory to the fashion design process
- Understand the processes and factors involved in fashion designing, production of textile materials, and purchasing materials from suppliers
- Identify the characteristics and properties of common fabrics and the fibers from which they're made, including details on care, cleaning, and how to handle these fabrics when sewing.
- Comprehend the basic principles of draping. Learn to use the supplies and equipment for draping fabric, in order to create various original designs directly in fabric.
- Know the general procedure, equipment, tools, and supplies for flat pattern designing of bodices, necklines, collars, sleeves, skirts and dresses
- Recognize different body types and the colors, lengths, silhouettes, and styles used to create a finished product that will flatter an individual's shape.
- Measure a wearer in order to manipulate a pattern to fit the individual's shape and preferences, transfer the pattern to the chosen fabric, and continue to alter for proper fit as the garment is constructed.
- Recognize the parts of a standard sewing machine and techniques for its threading, use, and proper maintenance.
- Use acquired sewing techniques to properly cut, pin, press, and hand-sew knits and woven fabrics to complete garments
- Understand and correctly use (when conceptionalizing the collection) various design details and styles of seams, pockets, necklines, sleeves, collars, fasteners, cuffs, buttonholes, waist finishes, and decorative elements such as hand-sewn embroidery, ruffles, pleats, etc.
- Recognize the details of successfully managing a design business, including how to purchase professional sewing items, appropriately register a business, price finished products, and use good customer service as a marketing strategy.
You will need high-speed internet access to begin your program. You will need access to a Microsoft® Windows® based computer running Windows XP® or later or an Apple® Mac® computer running OS X® or later, and an email account to complete your program.
COURSE 1B: FREEHAND CUTTING OF SKIRT STYLES
- 1.5 Gathered & Balloon Skirt
COURSE 2A: FREEHAND CUTTING OF SKIRT
VARIATIONS AND DETAILS
- 2.1 Yoke Skirt with Pleats and Flare
- 2.2 Pencil Skirt with Flare at Knee (Mermaid)
- 2.6 Waistband and Waist Facing
- 2.7 Interpretation of Skirt Designs
COURSE 3A: FREEHAND CUTTING OF THE BASIC
BLOUSE AND SLEEVES
- 3.1 Cutting the Basic Blouse
COURSE 4A: FREEHAND CUTTING OF DRESSES
- 4.1 Sheath Dress and Bolero Jacket
- 4.5 Frills or Flounce Dress and Blouse
COURSE 5A: FREEHAND CUTTING OF DRESS
DESIGN DETAILS, PANTS AND TROUSERS
- 5.2 Midriff Dress or Blouse
Learn the technique to measure out and cut simple to more complicated styles directly from the fabric without a pattern, keeping a mental picture of the finished design in mind as you learn to shape the pieces and cut. This method is for those who are tired of going through the rigorous process of having to customize a commercial pattern or make a pattern from scratch, before daring to cut the fabric. You, however, want to do it like the ateliers of the past (or better still) like you saw your granny do it, so many years ago! Be the complete designer with these online video classes. Follow along with the written lessons. Watch as may times as you need to to master these techniques. Then move on to the next class.
(Course 1A optional e-book sold separately, $9.99)
(Course 1B optional e-book sold separately, $9.99)
(Course 2A optional e-book sold separately, $9.99)
(Course 3A optional e-book sold separately, $9.99)
(Course 4A optional e-book sold separately, $9.99)
(Course 5A optional e-book sold separately, $9.99)
Learn freehand cutting of various garments and styles.